Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Bathroom Trio-Tour, Master Bath

We have Three bathrooms in our home.  All of which had to be gutted, knocked down, or built from scratch. The first I will show you is the Master Bath; it is in the knocked down category.  Formerly a boarded in front porch, turned into a closet and bathroom and for the longest time the only bathroom for all seven, yes, seven of us!  We knocked the front porch renovation down, rebuilding a master bathroom with a hugely fantastic closet, well, maybe it isn't grand by some standards, but I live in a house with virtually no closets soo..., and a separate closet for the guest room...



This shelf is built from an old door. 
LOVE how Joshua miters the corners!

The thermometer is from the Eubank Funeral Home which is still in business, though it has been many years since our phone numbers were written as TU 7.  The Eubank family is where the bank part of Mabank is derived.  The old Avon bottle was my mother-in-laws and the coral came from Okinawa, the coral island, where we were stationed two separate times, for a total of seven years.  Japan is also where I bought the Johnson's Baby Powder; I love the artistic Japanese writing.    

                                               
I don't have a  cut flower budget around my place, occasionally buy supermarket flowers, so I really enjoy and try to take advantage of the luscious wildflowers here in Texas!

More shells from Okinawa and a tiny lighthouse my youngest picked up for me at First Monday, years ago. 



 


 The window casing used for the curtains were the original ones on the outside of our house...We had to put all new windows in, saving the seven windows original trim work.  My husband does most of the building, but Joshua gets to do the fun stuff. He finished these with hooks and trim if they needed it, and gave each of my husband's 5 siblings one. They use theirs for a wall hanger, but I loved mine for the window trim...since this is a new add on, it doesn't have the trim work as found in the original house, so I tried to think of easy, unique ways to add in the character.

The floral prints came from Goodwill. Notice the latch for the screen still attached to the trim. I made a Texas Flag from one of the old screens.
Love the handle on the old medicine cabinet...
                                                  It came with the house...     
 

This vintage telephone nook's PRIOR residence was the  farmhouse where I grew up. My husband salvaged it, as a surprise, before the old place was torn down; He also saved some doors.  I made the button bouquet and put it in a Nu Grape bottle... The Q-tip holder is a faceted snuff glass placed in a 10 cent garage sale stand. 
 We had a dresser we were thinking of using for the vanity, but in the end this one from Lowe's was quicker and cheaper. The mirror is recessed in the wall to conceal the medicine cabinet. and I use an old planter for the towels and extra TP.


The fixtures are rubbed bronze. Most are from Lowe's, but I bought the towel bar set at Wal-Mart. 

I love this tiny fan and it works wonderfully.!



The shower is very large. It has a rain shower head, a hand held, plus a body jet. Our ceilings are nine foot tall, so I can't even touch this shower head. My husband trimmed it out...while I was the helper. Our kids painted most of it, but I think I painted the trim. We've painted so much I can't keep track. My husband's nephew did the tile work. Any of you that have done some of this remodeling recognizes the process...

Remember, if you are still with me from way in the beginning of this post, I said this used to be the front porch...Well, it had two awesome front doors on the porch, leading to two different rooms. When we made part of the remodel a closet for the guest room, the gorgeous door was hidden inside, so Joshua took off all the trim and put it on  as my new closet door, inside my master bath... and we salvaged an old french door, from a house being torn down here in town... The blank space trimmed out a transom, which is still in the guest room, so I had this blank space... I had thought about writing the words for closet in lots of languages, a huge clock, or some metal work, but when I went shopping at the Red Shed Antiques, I spotted this spray of flowers and thought it would fit perfectly and I think it did?!  It would work well in many places, if I decide to execute one of the other ideas. 


Thanks Red Shed Girls!


Now, for the unfinished, uglies... We weren't sure if we would keep this door for the bathroom, because it is half glass, besides we hated to hide it away in a non public part of the house... so we haven't done a thing to it; I'm thinking we will keep it here. I like it and it matches everything else so well... We also need to do the crown molding...
This door will need a little more than soap! 




Well, now you've seen one bathroom...Two more to go!

See ya' 
Lezlee





50 comments:

Debra@CommonGround said...

Hey Lezlee, you guys have done an amazing job on this bath. Love the wall color and the tile in the shower is just wonderful. I love how you've kept some of the original things, but wow, do I love that door. so cool! 7 in one bathroom, you deserve the mother of the decade award!! Have a wonderful weekend,
hugs,
Debra

Laura Venosa Verbena said...

hi kind lady! Your bathroom is fabolous.. love that door.. keep it for sure I always wanted on eike that reminds me of my grandmothers bathroom door.
Have a great Mother's Day. xox Laura

Unknown said...

Golly, Lezlee, that was quite a tour of a fun house full of weeks of projects..I love it all...Now, where did you get the teeny fan...you did'nt tell that, honey.
I need a teeny fan like that for my bathroom.
that's very cute..and quite a conversation starter, well, if you have conversations in the ladies room...oh never mind...
just share...
hugs,
glenda

Unknown said...

please...
glenda

Unknown said...

Thanks for the heads up on the fan...I'm gonna see if they have it online...
thanks again..
glenda

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Oh your bathroom has such character! I love the doors! So, let me get this straight, the french door goes to the closet? and the half-glass door(entry door) is the door to the bathroom?
I love the doors! I love the door over the little shelf, I love the trim for the curtain, I love the window latch... I love it all!
oh, and cute fan!
you need to just tell us where you got it...

WhiteWhispers2u said...

G'Day~Awesome job! I love all the vintage ReArt items.Sweet lil flowers wish I had some of them around here.~Enjoy Kim

Coleen's Corner said...

Everything is just perfect! I love that old telephone nook. The shower is divine, really great craftsmanship everywhere. You did an awesome job decorating! I love the blend of old and new, it is just beautiful.

shannon i olson said...

Love that room, a Lot of work but worth it I bet. Such fun little details and stories to go with. We are in the process of redoing our laundry room, not because we really wanted to but because of water damage. I am not excited, but stay tuned!!

Anne Lorys said...

Hi Lezlee!
Wow, that looks like a dream house to me!
And that door! Not ugly at all, I think it's just wonderful!

Great photos!

Have a wonderful weekend!
Anne

Prior said...

Ok, the French door leads to my closet and the half glass door is the enrty to my bathroom from my bedroom. Sorry, I was vague...The fan pulls say Monte Carlo and were purchased at Lowe's. Thanks for all the kind words... I do enjoy this bathroom. Lez

Pat Harris said...

What beautiful rooms. Every touch, every piece is perfect. Looks like something out of a book and still so welcoming. Love it.

Vicki@MorePowerfulBeyondMeasure said...

Oh my goodness Lezlee!!! I love your room! The wall color looks exactly like the paint we just used in our master bath. Ours is called Grassland. I am taken with the way y'all mixed old and new together. I know that phone nook means a lot to you, how special to have it in your home. Hurry and post more, I enjoyed seeing your remodeled world. Vicki

Burlap Luxe said...

hi Lezlee,
I just love all your old...When it come to remodeling I welcome it, buy if all possible I would try to keep some old :)

Beautiful bathroom job.

xx
Dore

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Lezlee~ you've done a wonderful job in your bathroom! I just love all your personal and one-of-a-kind touches! Can't wait to see the other two rooms!

nancy said...

Stunning! I love that William got the telephone nook for you. I loved that house.

Anonymous said...

Your bathroom is so cute! All your touches are so unique. That shelf/trim which holds attaches the curtain is so darling. How clever is that? Great room, great pics, great post!

Richella Parham said...

My goodness--special touches all over this room! I like the way almost everything has a PRIOR life. My favorite may be that Johnson's baby powder container. . . how wonderful for a bathroom. And I just love those shelves that look like a church window--beautiful!

Thank you so much for linking to my Special Touches party! I hope you get to visit some of the other entries--special touches all over the place!

Muthering Heights said...

You bathroom is just lovely! I really like the vintage feel!

Kenzie said...

Visiting from Richella's party! Your bathroom is gorgeous! I love how almost everything in the room has a story behind it and has been re-purposed! I love the old Avon bottle! I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Anonymous said...

I really like that you keep all the old parts in your house and re-use them elsewhere. I love heritage houses and hate it when they take out all the good stuff to add new....barf.

Thanks for visiting me on my blog. It looks like you have tons of work too... but whoever Josh is can we borrow him for awhile??

Jessa said...

Happy mothers day to you!

Paula@SweetPea said...

I love your decorating style and your flair for accessorizing. You have quite the eye!

kimmykats said...

Too bad it's the bathroom and you can't have a party in it! A very special and unique use of old and new done so very beautiful. Their prior lives still shine through.

Prairie Scraps said...

What a fabulous bathroom! You have certainly inspired me and encouraged me to keep the updates going in my own master bath, even though it's country, but definately not this beautiful! I love all the uses of the old architecture! I am becoming a follower for sure!

Student Entrepreneur said...

Love it!!! You can come over to my house ANY day to help me with mine!!!! Great job!!!

Unknown said...

Love this! Love the colors, so charming and pretty! Good job!
Happy Mother's day!
XOXO
Frenchy

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Gorgeous bathroom! I love the vintage baby powder!! :) Thanks so much for the visit the other day. :)

Leslie {Goodbye, house. Hello, home!} said...

This is one gorgeous bathroom!
I love all the personal touches-
I love the button bouquet and planter to hold the towels! So creative!
Thank you for showing us the room- it is charming !
I am so glad you stopped by my home!
Happy Mother's Day (I cannot believe you are a grandmother!),
~Leslie

Red Shed French Antiques and Travel said...

Great post and Great Bathroom! Please grab the whole family and come redo my bath! Will do a post on it soon!
Valarie
The Red Shed

Andy Porter said...

Everything looks amazing!! I especially love that shelf above the window. What a great idea for a window treatment!! WEll DONE!!!

The Whistle Stop said...

Your bathroom is so cute. Love the wall color and the vanity!!! Can't wait to see the next two!
Laurie

Anonymous said...

I could spend a very enjoyable afternoon hanging out in your bathroom, Prior! There is so much to look at and investigate in there. I LOVE all the unique pieces.

the old white house said...

Love that door shelf! Great job repruposing things to make your bath unique and beautiful! Theresa

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Lovin'your VINTAGE STYLE bathroom...that little shelf is so stinkin cute!

Blessings,
Linda

Maureen Makes It said...

So may great little details and ideas. And I love that little fan. I need that in my bathroom.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Lezlee, this is absolutely wonderful. I love all of your re-uses in this bathroom. You ended up with such a wonderful space and so many special features. (I think I have those same floral prints in my bathroom!) You and your family are so talented. laurie

Jill said...

Lezlee, I love your bathroom! LOTS of WORK!! I hope to join your prior party but we just got done with graduation.....

Vicki@MorePowerfulBeyondMeasure said...

Already left a comment on this wonderful remodel, but wanted to tell you it was really cool to see your phone nook show up on my Facebook page today from Junkmarket..tickled me!

Holly Lefevre said...

WOW! This bathroom blows me away. I am doing my kitchen right now but the master bath is next...it wasn't a porch...it was the old master bedroom...so it is large but ugly. All of the details you have here are fabulous. I am a new follower.
Holly
504 Main

junkermidge said...

Lezlee, you're doing such a great job on your bathroom projects. I need to get busy on some too, so you are providing great inspiration.
I really love your shelf made from door pieces.
Midge

Diann said...

Just beautiful! love all your fun ideas in this bathroom!

Help! Mama Remote... said...

Wonderful job! You have some awesome creativity.

le Chef said...

I am insanely in love with your bathroom. If I paid rent in fresh bread could I live in it? ;)

WhisperWood Cottage said...

Wow! So many great touches! I love the telephone nook!!

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

You have done a beautiful job with your bathroom! I love all of the small touches...they just make a room...don't you think?

Beautiful!

It is so nice to meet another Texas girl!

Enjoy!
Cathy

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

Charming baths.

Razmataz said...

Oh my goodenss LezLee, I love everything about this bathroom, especailly the nook and the shelf made from a door. The johnson's baby tin from Okinawa is wonderful, as are all your interestign bits and that door is perfect. When were you in Okinawa? Friends of our were stationed there about 20 years ago.

Alison H said...

Oh Lezlee I am in love with the spray of flowers in the transom above the door. They go right to the heart of me.

Laurel@ChippingwithCharm said...

So MANY fun details...love the telephone nook, the door shelf...eveything looks great :) Laurel