Sunday, January 3, 2010

IN OTHER WORDS





In other words, use these words instead

I'm posting a few pictures of our two classrooms at the Jr. High where I work. Old keyboard and time card holder turned into a word wall file... The kids can go grab a card with a common word on it and replace it with a more descriptive word, think mini thesaurus. Also would be good for vocabulary words with definitions, job charts, etc. When I bought them for a dollar at Goodwill, someone in line wanted to know what I was going to do with them. I told her I wasn't sure, but they were just too cool. This classroom is Texas and Americana style. We've used antiques, re-purposed junk, and kids pictures to decorate...to me it teaches a real life way to save money, recycle and make things pretty, plus personal. 

Thanks, Lezlee


There are about 4 of each card, in case more students want help with the same word...


I used old keyboard letters with magnets on the back to label the Word Wall... I love that it is magnetic!!


I sold the other time card holder at the booth, I had. It was displayed with invitations, pictures, cards, magnets... I decided I would rather keep it, but when I went back to get it, already sold :(


Just made the cards, but it would be cool to use old time cards, too. Painted the retired keyboard red, since this is the Americana room, but left the holder industrial. 

This keyboard idea could be used in so many ways. I want to make the keyboarding teacher, who is also a coach one with the school colors. An upwards game works well for signs, too... just endless possibilities. I know that is beginning to be a theme of each post, but it is true just let your imagination soar... I want the kids at school to see the possibilities!

I'm joining the party!
504 MainPrior

This tickled me pink when the idea came to me, daydreaming during a meeting and tickles me pink when I see the kids use it.

16 comments:

Miss Mustard Seed said...

That is so cool and creative. I bet the kids love it. What a great idea for a homeschooling mom or a techie teen's room. Thanks for sharing!

Sandra said...

Fun idea to get kids thinking...I also love your hot red tub in photo! Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your sweet comment.

Destination Seaborn said...

That's a cool idea! It's great that you're teaching the students the possibilities of repurposing! Keep up the good work! Thanks for dropping by ~Lisa

Sherry said...

what a wonderful teaching style! Love it! Thanks for stopping by my blog! Yours is very fun and creative!

René said...

You're on to something...make it fun and they will learn. Great way to use what you have. Thanks for stopping by today!

Jill said...

This is great--I really like your transformed keyboard. I have quite a few parts in a bucket from keyboards I dismantled from the recycling center. They are just waiting for a project. Now, I'm thinking....

Kim said...

You're so creative! Love your ideas. Thanks for sharing them with us :-)

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

What a fantastically creative idea! I love it and I'm sure your students do too.

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

what great ideas....love them...I have a fun giveaway on my blog...a $100 prize ..comments will be closed on Monday night, but today's entries get extra chances...so stop by and join in the fun.

Anonymous said...

This is such a cool idea, not only making it fun for the kids to learn, but for re-purposing cast-offs. I love it, I am going to show my teacher friends.
My best- Diane at InMyOwnSTyle

Jamielyn said...

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

C.J. said...

love the keyboard idea, looks great, you are very talented.

Rhonda said...

That is so awesome! I love it!

Debby said...

Wow!! That keyboard is so cool! Going to share it on my facebook page so all my student teacher friends can see it! Thanks so much for sharing!

Holly Lefevre said...

This is awesome...you amaze me every time I come over here. I truly LOBE your style. What a great way to teach kids...can I move to where you live? Thanks for linking up!

Jenn Erickson said...

So, so creative! I love both. I'm getting so inspired for teaching! Thank you!